Although only four decades of existence, the monument is part of an entire ensemble that characterizes the ancient port of entry Carenas, discovered by Sebastian de Ocampo between 1508 and 1509. His white Carrara marble contrasts with the gray stones of cuatricentenario environment: the strengths of the Tres Reyes del Morro, San Salvador de la Punta, Real and Punta San Carlos de la Cabaña, strongholds for centuries defended Havana undesirable visitors.
The Christ of Havana was inaugurated on December 25, 1958, seven days before the fall of the dictatorship of Batista before the impetuous advance of the Rebel Army. The monument was built in Italy and is the work of Cuban sculptor Gilma Wood, who died recently.
The figure of Jesus is standing with one hand on the chest and the other on top, in the act of blessing, overlooks the city and has a height of twenty feet above the base of three. It weighs 320 tons and is composed of 67 pieces.
If we consider the esplanade on the hill where it is located, its height rises to 51 meters above sea level, making it possible to see the Christ of Havana from different parts of the city.