Plaza of Armas - Day and Night Attraction

Plaza de Armas is the generating point of the city of Havana (1519). Its design is reminiscent of the fortified places of medieval Europe. In its perimeter were the headquarters of the civil and military authorities in colonial times, and the parish church of the city.


Plaza of Armas


Plaza of Armas
Plaza of Armas

It is the oldest square in Havana. In the sixteenth century was the heart of the city and the captain general of the island attended the festivities from the balcony of his palace. It was abandoned after independence and restored in 1935, according to old prints. Four kapok, four royal palms and four fountains surround the statue of Carlos Manuel de Céspedes. The Plaza de Armas, marble benches provided and where there booksellers set, is one of the most pleasant of Old Havana. Surrounded by colonial buildings.

To the west stands the Palace of the Captains General. Built in 1776 by the governor of Cuba at the time, M. de la Torre, is one of the finest examples of baroque architecture of Havana. In 1902, between its walls and proclaimed the Republic Palace became president of the Republic until 1920.

Plaza de Armas in Cuba
Plaza de Armas in Cuba

The yard is beautiful, decorated with plants and a statue of Christopher Columbus. On the first floor is opened City Museum, where you can admire the first bronze statue made in Cuba, in 1630, the Giraldilla, symbol of the city of Seville copied and now adorns the labels of famous rum Havana Club. The museum recalls the history of the city, through paintings, uniforms, furniture of extreme wealth.

In the northeast corner of the square stands the Castillo de la Real Fuerza, the first fort built in Cuba. At the top of the tower is Moorish style the famous weather vane, the Giraldilla, is a copy. True, that is in the museum, was cast as a tribute to Dona Ines de Bobadilla, wife of Governor Hernando de Soto, romantic explorer looking for life the fountain of youth. He died in 1542, without finding it, but waiting Dona Ines continued long after his death, in which he did not believe, from the top of this tower, scanning the sea.

In the northeast corner of the square stands the Castillo de la Real Fuerza, the first fort built in Cuba. At the top of the tower is Moorish style the famous weather vane, the Giraldilla, is a copy. True, that is in the museum, was cast as a tribute to Dona Ines de Bobadilla, wife of Governor Hernando de Soto, romantic explorer looking for life the fountain of youth. He died in 1542, without finding it, but waiting Dona Ines continued long after his death, in which he did not believe, from the top of this tower, scanning the sea.

The Palacio del Segundo Cabo is located on the north side of the square. Built between 1772 and 1776, it hosted the Congress from 1902 to 1929 and now houses two editorials related to the Ministry of Culture.

Not far from the Plaza de Armas, the palace of the Marquis of Santa Ana Justiz (on the corner of Baratillo and Justiz) is one of the oldest palaces in the city. Is adorned with magnificent Moorish decorations. The palace of Don Gaspar de Vasconcelos Riberos (on the corner of San Ignacio and Obrapia) for his part, was built in 1637. It is also part of the oldest monuments in the city.