From Havana coast area where the park Maceo is today and to the Almendares River what was then a sharp coral coast and a strong and impenetrable bush, which the Spanish authorities considered always as a natural barrier against attacks and called him "Monte Vedado ". That was many years, but in 1859 around San Lazaro began circulating urban railway running from the vicinity of the harbor to the mouth of the Almendares own. At that time appeared Carmel and Vedado neighborhoods. It was thought in the inhospitable coast of Havana and the project commissioned Don Francisco de Albear, the largest Cuban engineer of the time. Albear devised a complex and successful formulation of what must have been the work beyond a simple walk.
As recorded in historical documents, the wide avenue was built to four meters above sea level, separated from the shore, and at the bottom a long succession of 250 vaults, to make way for other needs of the city, because the gallery result could serve as railway and warehousing, port active thinking habanero, military or defensive line.
The entire project would cost 850,000 pesos of the time, but the Spanish government did not dare spill the beans to the municipal administration and the proposed habanera Albear slept a long sleep.
During the first U.S. intervention was resumed some projects completed and the first section, from Prado to Crespo, was the startup of a long, slow race to achieve the Malecon we know today. In 1901 he began work on the Malecon timid issued after certain provisions including land prices, property titles, rights to confiscations and other regulations of the sort.
During the monumental pretensions of Gerardo Machado took the Malecon momentum under the leadership of Jean Forestier leading developer, famous for his work on Sevilla and Paris, who had come to Cuba to establish a master plan for the city.
Marveling at the coastal capital, took the Malecon Fosrestier as preferred aspect of their projects. To reach its seven kilometer Malecon Habanero current passed through several stages of progress and setbacks, of successive governments, changes, deletions and changes to projects until the last stretch made between 1950 and 1958.
After the first trech, followed by the construction in 1921 until the entry of Vedado, where today stands the monument to Maine. In the mid-30s took to the street G, and the mandate of Carlos Prio (1948-1952) reaches the Malecon to the mouth of Almendares.